Thursday, May 17, 2007

Romo Opens Defense of MIB Award with Subpar Performance


Former Minnesota state free throw champion John Romo (Hutchinson, Minn.) opened defense of his 2006-07 Minneapolis Bowling Congress Most Improved Bowler award last night with a subpar performance at Doyle's Bowling Alley & Lounge in Minneapolis. Romo began the night with a respectable 176 in the first game, before causing nearly $1,200 in damage to the ceiling tiles above lane 6 with a misguided throw of his 14-pound Brunswick Fury (video below). From there, the brains behind the not-your-daddy's gophersports.com rolled a 133 and 112 to finish 47 pins behind his 2006-07 MIB three-game average.

"It just wasn't my night," Romo said between sips from his Jack & Coke. "Maybe the award went to my head or maybe I'm feeling the pressure of my coworkers to live up to what they think of me, but I thought I had my alcohol intake-to-bowling performance ratio down to a science. When my ball hit the ceiling, I knew it was back to the drawing board. I just hope the Minneapolis Bowling Congress and Doyle's lets me come back next week."

Longtime Romo adversary and runner-up to last season's MIB award, Lawrence T. Goodnough, was none too pleased with the distraction on lane 6. "I had a good thing going in the seventh frame when ceiling tile comes raining down in the lane next to me. I was going for my second turkey of the night and Romo does that. I don't want to go as far to say he did it on purpose, but it sure smells fishy to me."

This is not the first time that Romo has been accused of potentially throwing athletic contests. In 2003, Romo allegedly attempted to shave runs in a Marketing vs. Media Relations softball game when the graduate of Bemidji State University appeared to intentionally boot thrown and hit balls at first base. Despite his statements that he didn't care about the game, Romo's actions were spurious to say the least.

Romo's ceiling tile-related meltdown last night comes just a week after another embarrassing moment at Doyle's when the former hockey SID dumped a pitcher full of Grain Belt Premium beer on an unnamed underachieving teammate.

"I was just trying to show him the proper bowling technique that led me to the MIB title when my hand accidentelly hit the pitcher," Romo said after downing an order of Cajun fries. "Sure, he was dragging the team down with his awful bowling, but does anyone honestly think I'd waste good alcohol like that?"

Romo and his cellar-dwelling bowling team, I Can't Believe It's Not Gutter, takes on the Holy Rollers next Wednesday at 8 p.m., at Doyle's

No comments:

Post a Comment