Monday, June 9, 2008

Slowly-Weathering Section of Fence Reminding Area Man of Departed Colleague

A nondescript section of a slowly-weathering wooden fence on the north side of Highway 5 in Eden Prairie, Minn., is more than just a nondescript section of a slowly-weathering wooden fence to one former University of Minnesota Athletic Communications staffer. To Kevin Kurtt (Edina, Minn.), that section of fence is a twice-daily reminder of the absence of erstwhile coworker, now Big Ten Network Assignment Editor Kyle Coughlin (Golden Valley, Minn.).

"I drive that stretch of road twice every day, and I'm instantly reminded of Kyle every time I pass between Dell Road and Eden Prairie Road," Kurtt said. "I see the section of fence that Kyle was responsible for originally destroying and I can't help but think of him. My heart breaks a little more each day I see that fence and am reminded that Kyle is so far away now."

According to Eden Prairie Police documents obtained by Mr. Heavyfoot, Coughlin was involved in a car vs. fence accident on Highway 5 on February 23, 2007, resulting in the destruction of a section of fence along with some roadside shrubbery. The former U of M Interim Director of Athletic Communications was cited and later acquitted on charges of leaving the scene of an accident (MN Statute 169.09), reckless driving (MN Statute 169.13) and criminal stupidity (MN Statute 169.28) - for leaving the scene of an accident but also leaving his bumper with attached license plate at said accident scene.

A short time later, the fence was repaired with new, non-weathered wood, thanks to a settlement between Coughlin, the City of Eden Prairie and the Friedman family whose property lies adjacent to the damaged fence. Coughlin left the Twin Cities a few months later for Chicago to pursue a career in the television industry.

"It's amazing the memories that a slowly-weathering fence conjures up," Kurtt added. "I remember Kyle's amazing potato-sack racing ability (photo at left). I remember his softball performance as the wily veteran that he is (link). I remember him soaking his bloody leg in a kiddie pool after sliding into a wooden home plate (link). It's really sad to think that, in time, the weather will render that section of fence indistinguishable from the rest of the fence. So, too, will fade the memories if something is not done."

In an effort to permanently and officially establish the section of fence as a memorial to Coughlin, Kurtt has submitted a proposal to the Eden Prairie City Council to rename the fence the "Kyle Coughlin Fence of Remembrance."

"I know Kyle's not dead, but I just feel that something needs to be done to recognize Kyle for all that he brought to the Twin Cities area, namely a bad back, a weak heart, and an uncanny ability to spurn his job duties in favor of going golfing (link)," Kurtt said. "The Kyle Coughlin Fence of Remembrance is modeled after the Shane Sandersfeld Memorial MVP (link) or the Tory Kukowski Memorial Internship (link). It's a great honor. Just ask the still-living Shane and Tory. What else do we have to remember Kyle by? Well, aside from that awesome t-shirt, of course (photo at right)."

Kurtt's intentions to honor Coughlin with the Fence of Remembrance have brought mixed reactions from former coworkers. Shane Sandersfeld (Williamsburg, Iowa), a one-time neighbor of Coughlin's, has been a staunch opponent of Kurtt's proposal.

"I, too, drive Highway 5 twice a day, but due to my medical condition, I'm thankfully not able to turn my head to see that section of fence. But that's irrelevant. Kyle's gone. Let's move on and forget the guy. Once he sells his townhouse, I want nothing around to remind me of Kyle. I swear his realtor brother is just keeping that place on the market to taunt me."

Former coworker and golfing buddy Jeff Keiser (Avon, Ct.) stood firmly in favor of the memorial fence proposal.

"When Kyle left, my world crashed," Keiser said while choking back tears. "Establishing the Kyle Coughlin Fence of Rememberance won't bring him back, but it will give me a place to go and reflect on just what Kyle meant to me."

When asked why Kurtt and Keiser don't just make a road trip to Chicago to visit Coughlin, they cited rising gas prices and disapproving wives who never really took a liking to Coughlin.

Coughlin was unavailable for comment as he took a day off from work to go golfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment