Thursday, October 23, 2008

Big Ten Pick 'Em Corner - The Professor's Week 5 Picks

The Professor just keeps on winning. Make that four weeks in a row with a winning record. After last week's 4-1 showing (Coolies had the Prof at 3-2, trying to cheat me out of a win), the Professor stands in second place in the Big Ten Pick 'Em Corner Standings behind the dumbfounding spectactular start by Wick.

On to The Professor's Smart Money Picks:

For this game, I didn't talk to anybody but myself. It was time for a little introspection. In two out of the past four weeks, I bucked the trend, went with the Hoosiers...and lost. Imagine my bankroll had I seen the light earlier on the Fightin' Randle-Els. Well, I'm done with IU now, and I'm sure that means they'll turn the ship around. Nevertheless, Northwestern will just be too much to handle for the broken down Hoosiers. There's just too much going against IU to think they'll keep this game close: their 2007 bowl season is looking like a mirage; the inspiration gained from the untimely death of Coach Hoeppner has apparently worn off; Kellen Lewis seems a little fragile when not on drugs; and it's that time of year when everyone in Bloomington starts looking ahead to bouncy ball season (even if that program is a shell of its former self). Final Score: Northwestern 27, Indiana 13 (Northwestern -8 over INDIANA).

Normally, The Professor's long-standing tradition of picking against the Badgers ends up coming back to haunt him. The Professor knows this, but it's too much of a feel-good pick to go against Bucky. This season, it seems I'm getting re-paid for making all those anti-Wisco picks as the Stinkin' Badgers just keep getting worse and worse. Talk about feel-good picks. This week, Bielema's Boys welcome the Fighting Wickstroms. My brain is telling me there's no way Wisconsin falls to 0-5 in the league, but my heart is saying otherwise. To get the inside dish on the Wisco program, I turned to UW AD Barry Alvarez. I was sure he'd stick up for his hand-picked coach and give the squad a vote of confidence as it faces Illinois' high-powered, turnover-prone offense. Barry never returned my calls, however. Apparently, I'm not the only member of the media/handicapping community that can't get Barry to talk (http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article/id/310581). All the more reason to pick a big Wisconsin loss. Final Score: Illinois 35, Wisconsin 9 (Illinois -2.5 over WISCONSIN).

Much like the Indiana game, it's time for The Professor to reverse his thinking on the Goof Troop this season. I've gone against the Brew Crew in two of their three games and the time I did pick them, they lost at Ohio State. It's time for The Professor as handicapper to hop on the bandwagon with The Professor as fan. Call me naive, but how is this game a pick 'em? Minnesota is 6-1 overall, Purdue is 2-5. Minnesota is 2-1 in the league, Purdue is 0-3. Minnesota is third in scoring offense, Purdue is ninth. Minnesota is fifth in scoring defense, Purdue is ninth. Oh and Minnesota is ranked, Purdue not even close. Does home field advantage make up for all of this? Maybe that's good for a Boiler FG. Or is it the Homecoming factor? Nope - look what happened at the Illinois Homecoming. The bye week? I don't buy that. Goldy's poor past showings in God-forsaken West Lafayette? This is college football - the past means so much less as it's a whole new set of players every year. I know I'll regret it, but The Professor as handicapper is now firmly on the Goof Troop bandwagon...until next week. Final Score: Minnesota 24, Purdue 17 (Minnesota 0 over PURDUE).

Off to the state of Meeeeeeechigan for the battle between Michigan (masquerading as the 2007 Golden Gophers) and Michigan State (freshly embarrassed off their big loss to OSU). I talked to Wolverine DE Brandon Graham and he gave me this little gem: "We're not going to lose to State." Thanks, Brandon. That's all I need to hear. You hear that sound? Eeeeeeeerrrrrr-plunk! Eeeeerrrrrrrr-plunk! It's The Professor's Lead Pipe Lock of the Week. Michigan will get a little bump in their misplaced arrogance this week as they cite their six straight wins over State, but Mark Dantonio has had this one circled on his calendar for a long time now. It seems silly, but I'm thinking Sparty was looking past Ohio State last week to this week's tilt vs. Rich Rod. MSU comes out fired up and jumps all over Graham and his Winged Helmet bretheren en route to a rout. Final Score: Michigan State 42, Michigan 13. (Michigan State -3.5 over MICHIGAN).

Time for the week's marquee game in Penn State at Ohio State. As a member of the Big Ten, the Nits have never won at the Horseshoe. Ohio State is also 6-4 against the spread over this same period of time. But I talked to ESPN Gameday analyst Lee Corso this week and he told me, "Uh-uh. Not so fast, my friends. The Buckeyes are 1-7 against the spread in their last eight games following a win of more than 20 points and 0-5 against the spread in their last five home games vs. a team with a winning road record. Gimme that Nittany Lion head!" I've got a soft spot for anybody who loves mascots as much as I do, so I'm taking Corso's word and running to the bank with it. Penn State is just too balanced a team to lose this game. They may have been caught looking ahead to this game in the first half of last week's tilt against Michigan, but they won't be caught sleepwalking this week. This contest pretty much decides the Big Ten title. Ohio State will put up a heck of a fight and this will be a close one, but in the end Terrelle Pryor is a freshman and Beanie Wells won't be able to make up for the young QB's mental mistakes. The road teams are going to go a perfect 5-0 this week in the Big Ten. Final Score: Penn State 24, Ohio State 21 (Penn State -2.5 over OHIO STATE).

Thus concludes The Professor's Picks of the Week. Remember, "The 'Smart' Money is Always on THE PROFESSOR."

No comments:

Post a Comment